Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stepping back on whats going on

Last days have been something new to me. I used to grind for $75 an hour at 0.5 / 1 and 1 / 2 and now, I win $300 an hour. It is awesome, true, but I really need to keep focused on my game and my progression.

Last year, when I played 0.5/1 with an amazing winrate of 5ptbb/100 over a huge sample I thought that I could not do better anymore. But the truth is I was bad. Less than other ppl, sure, but I had no idea how to play post flop (a little on the flop maybe, on the turn, if I had nuts I would barrel otherwise I would just check it down to the showdown). I was just a 13/9 type nit who raised with ranges composed of 95% hands for value, 4% for protection, 1% for bluff.

It happened once, I hope it won't happen twice. I'm def going to try to move up as high as I can. Which obviously includes to ALWAYS work on my game. Working his game means to be open minded. To change, to question oneself, to develop new ideas is probably the mark of a sucessful poker player.

However, to be able to question oneself is not that natural. It's a matter of education I guess and it's def linked to our own path.

In poker, there is not a right or a wrong decision, there is just a better and a worse one. The "goodness" (does it even exist ?) of a decision is the result of many factors (position, stack size, history...) and this is only when you masterise all these factors that you are good at poker.

To conclude, to stay humble is probably the key to be sucessful at poker. It permises you always re-evaluate how you did play a hand which the first step in order to take better decisions.

Anyway, I just ended up my last session for today. +3.5k today. I played very very solid today. I feel like I have never played this strong ever and believe me, this is an awesome feeling. I'm 20k up this month. 20k was my monthly goal and it's already done. I'm very happy with but don't worry, I won't stop to play until Febuary.

Also today I suscribed to bluefirepoker.com. This is a new training site lead by Phil Galfond (he is probably my most favourite player. This guy is SO humble). Quality seems awesome to me so far, I can't wait for move videos.

Next week I'm going in Deauville. Given I already accomplished my monthly goal (in term of $, not of hands), I won't be playing poker a lot. I will enjoy the city (there are probably some awesome restaurants) with my friends and poker players Adrian and Rémi.

I feel like this entry has been too long. I will try to do shorter next time.

bb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey saw link to your blog after browsing forums on bluefire. We played 50nlFR together way back when I was just starting and used to have my whole bankroll on the table, etc. I used to heckle you about your sn and ask if you were related to adz124. Lol, sorry about that. Congrats on your success.